Re: src/Makefile unhelpful

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: src/Makefile unhelpful
Date: Thu, 08 Sep 2022 09:14:06 +0300

> From: Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org>
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Wed, 07 Sep 2022 23:00:44 -0400
>
>   > I think this is rarely needed, so having it silent by default is
>   > better.
>
> We may be miscommunicating.  My idea is that each make run that runs
> the command
>
>       $(AM_V_CC)$(CC) -c $(CPPFLAGS) $(ALL_CFLAGS) $(PROFILING_CFLAGS)
>
> at least once, should output _just once_ what that expands into.
>
> I agree we do not want to output the expansion more than once.

I understood, but I think it isn't needed even once, because we don't
care about the exact command unless we run into some trouble.

The command is quite long, so outputting it even once will write a lot
of stuff to the screen, stuff that we almost always ignore.

>   > The way to see the arguments is to say
>
>   >   make V=1
>
> The problem with that solution is that by October I certainly won't
> remember it.

It's a general Autoconf-based solution many/all GNU projects use, so
if we want to change that to something more memorable, we should
change that across the board.

(FWIW, I keep notes in a prominent place about important stuff I'm
likely to forget due to rare use.)