Re: Contributing to Emacs

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Contributing to Emacs
Date: Thu, 08 Sep 2022 19:39:17 +0300

> From: Mattias Engdegård <mattiase@acm.org>
> Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2022 22:32:40 +0200
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> I'd even go as far as saying that etc/TODO isn't necessarily a catalog of
> where new contributors should best direct their efforts.

It's supposed to be.  If you know of entries that shouldn't be there,
and entries that should but aren't, please tell.  We do want to have
this file as a useful reference of developmental tasks that are of
interest to us.

> Why don't you think of something that you personally would like Emacs to do
> that it currently does not, or doesn't do well enough? Or fix something that
> annoys you daily in your work? Such issues are never in short supply, and
> your time addressing them would be well-spent.

How can new contributors find such issues, when they don't know enough
about Emacs, its deficiencies, its development directions, things that
were tried and failed, etc.?  etc/TODO is supposed to guide them.