Re: Implementing image support for kitty terminal

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Implementing image support for kitty terminal
Date: Thu, 08 Sep 2022 22:30:07 +0300

> From: Tomas Hlavaty <tom@logand.com>
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Thu, 08 Sep 2022 21:15:37 +0200
>
> The problem is, that that capability is not available in tty emacs:

Yes, it _is_ available.  We just suppress it.

>    (image-size (create-image "/tmp/a.jpg"))
>    => (error "Window system frame should be used")

This is us deliberately failing image-size early on, because we don't
want complications down the road, and because we know images cannot be
displayed on TTY frames.

> Would it be possible to fix that?

I don't see why it would be hard.  E.g., this works just fine in a -nw
session:

  (create-image "/tmp/a.jpg")

> > and, if
> > those libraries are not available, a call to "file foo.png" is (at least
> > in my system) telling me the size of foo.png... kind of hacky, of
> > course, but as a first step maybe good enough.
>
> This is the easy part.  Then you need to change the existing emacs C
> code to actually call that.
>
> (btw isn't the file program potential security issue?)

We don't need 'file', Emacs already knows how to compute the size of
an image.