Re: [ELPA] CSS improvements

From: Philip Kaludercic
Subject: Re: [ELPA] CSS improvements
Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2022 14:22:04 +0000

Adam Porter <adam@alphapapa.net> writes:

> Hi Stefan, Philip, et al,
>
> ELPA's CSS currently has a few small issues: some elements have no top
> margins, so they run into preceding elements; and some heading levels
> have the same appearance as normal body text.
>
> The attached patches resolve these problems and make, especially,
> package documentation much easier to read.

I wonder if this could also be addressed by rethinking the "reset"-rule
at the beginning of layout.css.  I have tried removing it in Firefox,
and it doesn't look that bad (except for a few broken spacing rules that
shouldn't be that hard to solve).

> Thanks,
> Adam

> Hi Adam,
>
> Adam Porter [2022-09-11 08:38:12] wrote:
>> ELPA's CSS currently has a few small issues: some elements have no top
>> margins, so they run into preceding elements; and some heading levels have
>> the same appearance as normal body text.
>
> I have very little practice with CSS, so if you could point me to some
> concrete places (URL plus where in that page) which are improved, I'd
> really appreciate it.
> [ Clearly, that won't help me find out potential regressions, but it's
>   better than nothing.  ]

I've looked around and found at least two examples (that should
suffice for two patches):

- https://elpa.gnu.org/packages/vertico.html

  Look for a code block that is followed by a paragraph.  There is
  almost no space above a paragraph, but enough above.

- https://elpa.gnu.org/packages/ement.html

  Section 2.1 has a h4 title that is about the same size as the
  paragraph that follows it.  It appears at first as though the title is
  part of the paragraph, especially because the paragraph has a lot of
  space below it.

  Btw, Adam it seems there is some peculiar rendering just below the
  "2. Usage" title:  On GitHub there appears to be a manual TOC, while
  on the elpa.gnu.org it appears as a list with three empty elements.