Re: Are face specifications "frame local"?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Are face specifications "frame local"?
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2022 20:57:42 +0300

> Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2022 17:49:05 +0000
> From: Alan Mackenzie <acm@muc.de>
>
> I haven't find any helpful description of "frame local" faces in the
> Elisp manual, and their relationship to "global" faces.  Just that some
> functions on, for example, page "Attribute Functions" describe optional
> FRAME parameters and say these indicate the use of the "frame local"
> values.
>
> I get the impression that "frame local" faces are a dubious feature, and
> that the new(?) macro defface is trying to phase these out.  I can't see
> any use case for "frame local" faces.

I don't know where you get this.  Faces are frame-local in Emacs,
always were.

If there's some real-life problem you need to solve, let's hear the
details and see some code, and then let's help you find the solution.
There's no point ion discussing this on philosophical level.

So: what is the problem you are trying to solve?