Re: master 838e6cae81: ; * etc/NEWS: Fix typos.

From: Stefan Kangas
Subject: Re: master 838e6cae81: ; * etc/NEWS: Fix typos.
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2022 10:01:27 -0400

Michael Albinus <Michael.Albinus@gmx.de> writes:

> Yes, I've discussed this with Eli some weeks ago, and he does agree. It
> is just a matter of time for implementation. Something like checkdoc, ideally.
>
> If you want to beat me (much appreciated!) I append my blurb for
> checking. Just some code fragments, unordered.

Thanks, that sounds great.  I won't beat you to it, in all likelihood,
but any progress you can make here is much appreciated.

Maybe this could eventually be extended into checking also doc/**/*texi
for similar style errors?  Or perhaps, for some of them, in the entire
tree?

Some minor comments:

> ** Don't use "behaviour" or "colour"
>
> grep --color=auto -nH --null -E 'behaviour|colour' NEWS

I should generally catch these (and more, see commit ba0871bef1e7) in my
periodic runs of codespell, but it can't hurt to have extra checks in
place.  Perhaps I could document how I use codespell on the Emacs
sources, if that is of interest.

> ** Check for "it's", it must be "it is"
>
> (occur "it's" nil)

Do we accept "don't" and "can't"?  I believe they are also frowned upon
in formal writing.  (And what about "hasn't", and "haven't", etc.?)

> ** Check for "filename", it must be "file name"
>
> (occur "filename" nil)
>
> ** Check for "doc string", it must be "docstring"
>
> (occur "doc[[:space:]]+string" nil)

Also:
    "data base" -> "database"