A more radical cleanup for make bootstrap?

From: Gregory Heytings
Subject: A more radical cleanup for make bootstrap?
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2022 19:46:55 +0000

[Subject changed so that potentially interested readers do not miss it.]

WDYT of simply adding another "full-bootstrap" target, with the meaning "from the lowest possible ground"?

If other people are so married to the "bootstrap" name that they refuse to consider renaming it, I don't think it's worth spending more time arguing about. So, sure.

Now Stefan M and Po Lu both said (IIUC) that what they'd like is a bootstrap that does a less radical cleanup than what bootstrap now does. And (again IIUC) Eli and you (and others) agree that bootstrap should start with a state that is as clean as possible (which is what extraclean does).

So what I'd suggest is to use extraclean in bootstrap, and add either another target like "soft-bootstrap" or a configuration variable like "SOFT=true" that would make a less radical cleanup than what bootstrap-cleanup now does.

Would that be a solution that is acceptable to everyone?