Re: master baf1a7a4a0: Turn gv-synthetic-place into a function

From: Michael Heerdegen
Subject: Re: master baf1a7a4a0: Turn gv-synthetic-place into a function
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2022 09:28:59 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> > Hmm - to me it is clear, so I need to speculate what is needed to make
> > it better.  Something like
> >
> >   "This function is only useful in place expressions."
> >
> > maybe?
>
> Thanks, this is better.  However, we don't have "place expression"
> anywhere in the manual (unless I missed something), we have "place
> form".  Is this the same?

I think we are still aiming at good wording to describe the usage of
generalized variables.  Personally, I use "place expression" and "place
form" as synonyms, since expression and form are synonymous.

>  And if this is the same, how about
>
>   This function is only useful when used with generalized variables.

I prefer the preposition "in" to "with" which sounds more vague to me.

Also, some people seem to like saying a function "is" a generalized
variable when it has a gv setter.  I'm not sure if they would read your
version as intended.

Michael.