Re: [External] : Re: master d506d91b1f 2/2: Make linum.el obsolete

From: Stefan Kangas
Subject: Re: [External] : Re: master d506d91b1f 2/2: Make linum.el obsolete
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2022 18:36:53 +0200

> > AFAIU, "deprecated" doesn't always imply removal,
> > whereas "obsolete" does.
>
> No, it doesn't.
>
> Even desupporting ("unsupported") doesn't [...]

We don't use the term "desupporting" in Emacs, AFAIK.

Look, I'm merely trying to describe how we currently seem to be using
these terms in the Emacs project.  I might be wrong, of course, in
which case I trust that our maintainers will make the necessary
corrections.

Naturally, we are all entitled to our personal opinions about how we'd
like to see these terms used in an ideal world.  That's fine and, as
you note, different organizations use them differently.  However, I
don't think discussing that here will necessarily lead to more clarity
about our current and past usage of these terms.  I would therefore
suggest starting a new thread if there is a need for such a discussion
(e.g., if you are not happy with how they are currently used).

That said, the above could have been more clear if I said "eventual"
or "future" removal instead.  That point is taken.