latest emacs version does not have compat-declare-version defined

From: Eric S Fraga
Subject: latest emacs version does not have compat-declare-version defined
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2022 11:34:36 +0100

Hello all,

I have just updated my Emacs from git.  Built and installed.  However,
when I try to use it, any package that requires the compat package fails
with

invalid-function compat-declare-version

I have finally managed to get Emacs to start by removing reference to
any packages that I was using that required 'compat.  Not ideal but at
least I'm able to read my email and get some work done...

I've updated all ELPA/MELPA packages as well, by the way.

Any pointers welcome.

Thank you,
eric

--
Eric S Fraga via gnus (Emacs 29.0.50 2022-09-22) on Debian 11.4