Re: Math symbols

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Math symbols
Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2022 09:05:50 +0300

> From: Augusto Stoffel <arstoffel@gmail.com>
> Cc: schwab@linux-m68k.org,  emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2022 22:54:23 +0200

> >> Yes, but it's pretty incomplete.  It also has some translations that
> >> interfere with normal typing, such as ^1 → ¹.
> >
> > Then let's improve/expand/fix it.
> >
> > Or are you saying that input method is not up to the job?  If so,
> > please explain why you think so.
>
> Yes, it can be improved, and the first question to answer here is
> whether Emacs will have the TeX symbol names built-in or each package
> should contain its own data.

Maybe I don't understand in enough detail what you want to propose.
What other features, except input methods, may need the TeX names of
these characters and for what purposes?  (And the input method doesn't
supply names of the symbols, it provides strings that are converted to
characters.)

> Now, I personally dislike certain details about the built-in TeX IM
> (mainly the extra symbols starting with "^" and "_").  So I am not too
> inclined to work on it.

We could, I think, add an alternative input method to latin-ltx.el,
which will be identical to the existing one, except for changes in the
above-mentioned areas.