Re: Amending commits

From: Philip Kaludercic
Subject: Re: Amending commits
Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2022 10:50:30 +0000

> I vaguely remembered that commands for amending commits had been added,
> but I have no idea how those are supposed to be used.  I searched for
> "amend" in maintaining.texi and found nothing.  I found
> `vc-git-log-edit-toggle-amend', but...  how is that supposed to be used?

I think that command assumed you have changes that you wish to add to
the last commit (so you couldn't just use it to reword a commit).  You
start preparing a new commit using `vc-next-action', then when the
buffer appears you M-x vc-git-log-edit-toggle-amend to indicate that
this commit will be amending the previous one.  So the commit message
gets replaced by that of the previous message.  The rest just involves
finishing up like any other commit.

> There should be a command in `vc-dir-mode' that allows you to amend the
> last commit, I think.

That would be good, because it would also allow easier to reword a
commit that doesn't require any code changes.