Re: Org mode and Emacs

From: Robert Pluim
Subject: Re: Org mode and Emacs
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2022 13:04:26 +0200

    Ihor> 1. Switching to texinfo will improve Emacs coherence and potentially
    Ihor>    increase the pool of Emacs contributors familiar with texinfo (by
    Ihor>    pulling some of the Org contributors)
    Ihor> 2. On the other hand, switching from Org to texinfo sources on Org
side
    Ihor>    will require Org contributors to learn texinfo, which they do not
    Ihor>    really need now.
    Ihor> 3. Yet, switching from Org to texinfo will allow Emacs contributors to
    Ihor>    send patches in familiar texinfo format to Org.

    Ihor> From the perspective of Emacs, using texinfo sources is a good thing.
    Ihor> From the perspective of Org, it is not that obvious.
    Ihor> Hence this discussion.

As someone who has written the odd bit of Emacs documentation and
(less) org-mode documentation, I find the cognitive load of texinfo or
org to be about the same [1][2]; whichever one I wrote most recently is
relatively easy to use, and the other I need to relearn. I suspect the
same is true for most casual submitters of documentation patches.

Robert

Footnotes:
[1]  In a lot of cases itʼs "scroll around to see what the rest of the
     document is doing and just copy that", which is perhaps
     inefficent of my time, but works.

[2]  The load would be less if I didnʼt *also* have to write Markdown
     for work, but Emacs help a lot with that.  😀