Re: Suppressing native compilation (short and long term)

From: Rob Browning
Subject: Re: Suppressing native compilation (short and long term)
Date: Sun, 02 Oct 2022 13:17:15 -0500

> I'm not quite sure what you mean -- I'm saying that there should be a
> way for users to switch off native compilation (and for distributions to
> have native compilation for users switched off).
>
> Which was how this thread started: With a request for such a thing.

At the top level, we wanted a way to avoid writing to HOME during
packaging, testing, installs (in this case, it's the .eln files, now
that we've enabled native compilation).

That could be handled by some way to turn off native compilation, or by
some way to comprehensively divert those writes to another location
(e.g. temp dir).  Either is fine, though we'd originally thought the
former might make things a bit easier.

Whether or not we can (or should) try to build system-level (root owned)
.eln files along with the .elc files during package installs (as we
already do for .elc files) is a separate question, and I think the more
controversial one?

Thanks
--
Rob Browning