Re: master 152c7322c1: * lisp/net/tramp-docker.el: New file.

From: Brian Cully
Subject: Re: master 152c7322c1: * lisp/net/tramp-docker.el: New file.
Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2022 09:44:16 -0400

On 9/29/22 13:28, Michael Albinus wrote:
miha@kamnitnik.top writes:
It's not unusual to have both podman and docker containers on the same
host. But the way tramp-docker.el is arranged currently, it's difficult
to have simultaneous tramp connections to both of them. I think it would
make sense to have two tramp methods: '/docker:' and '/podman:', and by
extension, two defcustoms: tramp-docker-program and
tramp-podman-program.

I agree. Especially, when we have multi-hops to different machines,
which could offer either docker or podman executables.

Brian?

Indeed. I hadn't considered this use-case (even though I also have both installed, though I only use Tramp with Podman containers for development purposes).

As the package is really not much more than the method and variable customization options, it may be best to just have duplicates for those (eg, both `tramp-docker-program' and `tramp-podman-program'). The completion code could be shared, but I'm unsure how higher-level code organization would work. My first pass would be to have a single `tramp-docker--completion-function' which is used for both the `tramp-podman-method' as well as `tramp-docker-method'. My rationale being that Podman explicitly copies the Docker command line so that at can be used as a drop-in replacement, so the completion function would more naturally be associated with Docker than Podman.

-bjc