Re: master 5fec9182db: Add new variable 'inhibit-native-compilation'

From: Andrea Corallo
Subject: Re: master 5fec9182db: Add new variable 'inhibit-native-compilation'
Date: Thu, 06 Oct 2022 00:26:32 +0000

> branch: master
> commit 5fec9182dbeffa88cef6651d8c798ef9665d6681
> Author: Lars Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org>
> Commit: Lars Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org>
>
>     Add new variable 'inhibit-native-compilation'

This change introduces a variable (renamed shortly after
`inhibit-automatic-native-compilation'), but this variable fails to
actually inibhit automatic native compilation.

>     * doc/lispref/compile.texi (Native-Compilation Variables):
>     Document it.
>
>     * lisp/startup.el (normal-top-level): Set
>     inhibit-native-compilation from environment variable.

I strongly believe the use of an environment variable here should be
avoided and I don't see the necessity for it.

>     * lisp/subr.el (native-comp-deferred-compilation): Make obsolete.
>
>     * lisp/emacs-lisp/comp.el (comp-trampoline-compile): Don't write
>     trampolines to disk.

See below.

>     * lisp/progmodes/elisp-mode.el
>     (emacs-lisp-native-compile-and-load): Adjust.
>
>     * src/comp.c (syms_of_comp): New variable
>     inhibit-native-compilation.
>     (maybe_defer_native_compilation): Use it.
> ---

[...]

> +While setting this variable disables automatic compilation of Lisp
> +files, the compiler may still be invoked to install @dfn{trampolines}
> +if any built-in functions are redefined.  However, these trampolines
> +will not get written to disk.

This is not correct, they are actually written to disk and then removed.
Also why a variable called `inhibit-automatic-native-compilation' should
do this has still to be determined.

This change does not implement what the name suggests, does not solve
any user specific issue and was not agreed nor discussed.

As (still) native compiler maintainer I ask to have it reverted now.

Thanks

  Andrea