Re: Volunteering to help on etc/TODO item: Improved xwidgets support

From: Po Lu
Subject: Re: Volunteering to help on etc/TODO item: Improved xwidgets support
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2022 10:46:41 +0800

Andrew De Angelis <bobodeangelis@gmail.com> writes:

> Great, thanks Qiantian for the info.  I'm looking into ways to adapt
> the Objective C code to use manual reference counting rather than
> ARC. Is this a problem that other Objective-C Emacs files have?

No, the other Objective-C files do not have this problem.

> Maybe I can also come up with some general rules/approaches to help
> people fix the problem in other files.  One thing that would be very
> helpful is if you (or anyone else) is aware of somebody making this
> fix (ARC -> MRC in Objective C) before: most of the
> tutorials/documentation I'm finding on the topic is on how to go in
> the opposite direction, which is helpful information but I'm stuck
> "reverse engineering" the whole approach.

Not having much experience with Objective-C, I can't say.  But I think
code like this:

      [scriptor addUserScript:[[WKUserScript alloc]
                                initWithSource:xwScript
                                 injectionTime:
                                  WKUserScriptInjectionTimeAtDocumentStart
                                forMainFrameOnly:NO]];

has to be modified to keep track of the allocated WKUserScript
objects, and to call release on them when necessary.