Re: Allowing rolling release packages on ELPA

From: Stephen Leake
Subject: Re: Allowing rolling release packages on ELPA
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2022 10:27:13 -0700

"Bozhidar Batsov" <bozhidar@batsov.dev> writes:

> The patch seems fine to me, but I'm a bit skeptical about the whole
> rolling releases idea in general - e.g. should something like a change
> to the docs really result in a new release? How hard it is for people
> to actually update version timestamps themselves or to just stick to
> the *-devel repos if they don't want to cut releases?

The devel repos are not enabled by default; part of the point of the
Gnu ELPA packages is that they "just work" out of the box.

If it's easy to support (as the patch suggests), and totally up to each
package maintainer to choose, then what is the downside of allowing it?

> How much was the demand for something like this in general? I can't
> think of any major Emacs package that does rolling releases.

Since Melpa allows this, I'm betting there are some there. Although we
could easily quibble over the meaning of "major" here; if a package has
more than one user, this sort of thing matters.

--
-- Stephe