Re: Keep global-mode-string on its own "modeline"?

From: Akib Azmain Turja
Subject: Re: Keep global-mode-string on its own "modeline"?
Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2022 13:04:27 +0600

Thuna <thuna.cing@gmail.com> writes:

> There is no good reason for `global-mode-string' to be displayed in
> every single window's modeline separately, it takes a lot of space, and
> it usually ends up not completely showing when the window is split more
> than once.  Would it not be better to keep it in a different location?
> It makes sense (to me) to have it at the top of each Emacs frame,
> although I'm open to suggestions.
>
> Currently, I get something to that effect with tab-bar-mode by setting
> `tab-bar-format' to `(tab-bar-format-global)', which does roughly what I
> want it to do, but it looks visibly different from the rest of Emacs to
> the point where it's rather off-putting.
>
> I don't know what it would take to implement it (if it's even a good
> idea), but I just wanted to throw it out there.

IIUC, that intended to be just that.  You set global-mode-string to some
mode line construct (to display the project name of the buffer, for
example), and it'll show the appropriate thing on each window (project
name, for example).  You don't need to modify mode line on each and
every buffer to do this, just set the global-mode-string variable.

--
Akib Azmain Turja

Find me on Mastodon at @akib@hostux.social, and on Codeberg (user
"akib").

This message is signed by me with my GnuPG key.  Its fingerprint is:

    7001 8CE5 819F 17A3 BBA6  66AF E74F 0EFA 922A E7F5