Re: feature/tree-sitter: Where to Put C/C++ Stuff

From: Theodor Thornhill
Subject: Re: feature/tree-sitter: Where to Put C/C++ Stuff
Date: Tue, 01 Nov 2022 16:36:53 +0100

On 1 November 2022 16:09:39 CET, Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>
wrote:
>> Sorry for being blunt, but you've presented a plan for Emacs 32 if
>> not 42.
>
>Huh?  What makes you think that?
>
>On the contrary it's a plan that lets us get quickly a working
>tree-sitter-based C-mode.  Not one that's a strict superset of CC-mode's
>`c-mode`, but a quite decent `c-mode` nevertheless.

No matter what we'll decide on, I'll make these modes and submit it for review
in some weeks time. I'm no c++ expert, so I'm bound to make mistakes there, but
the others I think I have an idea of how to do.

>> Not unless you somehow can summon a team of talented and motivated
>> individuals to work on it starting today.  The only practical way
>> I see is by _evolution_, gradually replacing CC Mode's features with
>> tree-sitter supported ones where that makes sense, and at first as
>> opt-in.  And yes, this means no "breaking out of CC-mode", at least
>> not as part of this particular effort: it simply is too much, too high
>> a bar to jump.  It could well enough kill the effort, for all
>> practical purposes.

I'll try to prove you wrong. It seems someone is trying to add it to the
proposed cc-treesit.el, so maybe we can have the cake and eat it too ;-)

>I don't foresee "all of the stuff" to be done immediately, no.
>[ Tho I do think the filling code at least can be extracted from CC-mode
>within a month (or at least, an important subset of it).  ]

I think I'll try to make a tree-sitter powered auto-fill.

>Which is why users will have to choose (and we'll stick to CC-mode by
>default, of course).

Of course.

Theo