Re: feature/package+vc 04c4c578c7 3/4: Allow for packages to be installe

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: feature/package+vc 04c4c578c7 3/4: Allow for packages to be installed directly from VCS
Date: Thu, 03 Nov 2022 10:09:04 -0400

>   > > The GNU Project uses CVS.  We need Emacs to continue to support it.
>
>   > I don't think anyone disagrees with that (though some people might ask
>   > why GNU is still using CVS).
>
> Ifa person asked that question as simple curiosity, it might have a simple
> answer or it might be "historical reasons not worth explaining."
>
> Nowever, the words you used suggest that people would be making
> a demand that the GNU Project change its practices to adopt
> the practices they prefer.  That is not nice.

I don't think there's any demand to change in the question.  I think
it's rather a statement of surprise since in the very vast majority of
cases more modern VCS are so much more convenient that it's hard to
imagine that the inertia is high enough to keep using CVS (or that
there may actually be reasons beside inertia).

        Stefan