Re: Edebug corrupting point in buffers.

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Edebug corrupting point in buffers.
Date: Thu, 03 Nov 2022 20:15:08 +0200

> Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2022 18:07:16 +0000
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
> From: Alan Mackenzie <acm@muc.de>
>
> > The node you added is very short, barely a dozen lines.  It makes
> > little sense to have it separate from where edebug-save-windows is
> > described.  So I think you should move it there.  The location of the
> > node inside the manual's hierarchy is much less important than to have
> > the information pertaining to edebug-save-windows in a single place,
> > because no one reads the ELisp reference manual in its entirety.  The
> > only thing we need to facilitate people finding this place is add good
> > index entries there.
>
> So you're proposing leaving the "The outside context" node incomplete,
> according to its clearly defined purpose, and therefore wrong?  Why?

If you want, you can add a short sentence there about the issue, with
a cross-reference to where the issue is described in full.

This is how we organize our manuals: when some topic could be relevant
to more than one situation, we describe it in full in one place, and
have short references in all the others.

> Remember, this patch is not about edebug-save-windows.  It's about point
> getting corrupted.

The index entries and the cross-references should solve this.  And the
issue _is_ related to edebug-save-windows and to the other similar
option described in the same node.  So having all of this info there
makes the description more comprehensive.