Re: emacs-repository-{version|branch} on Windows

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: emacs-repository-{version|branch} on Windows
Date: Fri, 04 Nov 2022 22:29:40 +0200

> From: Juanma Barranquero <lekktu@gmail.com>
> Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2022 21:08:34 +0100
> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>, emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> In the past it happened with directories created inside .emacs.d/, though I
> don't remember the specifics.

Is your ~/.emacs.d directory on the same drive as the system, i.e. on
drive C:\?  If so, you will have to take ownership by your user on all
of drive C:\, because these problems will keep happening.  Most
probably your user is either a local Administrator or a member of the
Administrators group.  In both cases, you will bump into these
problems, until you take ownership of every directory you can.

My best advice is to have your HOME directory and everything else GNU
on a drive different from the system drive -- if you can.  Then taking
ownership is easier, because there aren't any protected directories,
and the level of paranoia of Windows itself about non-system drives is
lower.

This is basic Windows system setup, nothing to do with Emacs per se.