Re: [elpa] externals/triples 9673b6de5e: Compilation fixes by Stefan Mon

From: Andrew Hyatt
Subject: Re: [elpa] externals/triples 9673b6de5e: Compilation fixes by Stefan Monnier.
Date: Sun, 6 Nov 2022 09:55:07 -0500

On Sun, Nov 6, 2022 at 9:25 AM Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:
Looks like you force-pushed a slightly different version of this patch
to your upstream repository.  So `elpa.git` now can't track your
upstream repository because it's not a "fast forward" any more.

    % make fetch/triples
    emacs --batch -l admin/elpa-admin.el -f elpaa-batch-fetch-and-show "triples"
    Fetching updates for triples...
    Upstream of triples has DIVERGED!

      Local changes:
    9673b6de5e  ahyatt@gmail.com  Compilation fixes by Stefan Monnier.

      Upstream changes:
    bc0fb6fc91  ahyatt@gmail.com  Compilation fixes by Stefan Monnier.

    %

Could you resolve this by `git merge 9673b6de5e` into your
upstream branch?

Apologies, I didn't even realize that ELPA git was automatically doing this.  Just to be clear, by "upstream", you mean, in this case, my github repo?

In case you don't have commit 9673b6de5e any more in your local clone,
you can fetch it from `elpa.git` as follows:

    git fetch git://git.sv.gnu.org/emacs/elpa.git externals/triples
    git merge FETCH_HEAD

Done

And please refrain from force pushing to a public branch unless it's
*really* indispensable.

Thanks, will do - now I understand what's going on!

        Stefan