Re: feature/package-vc has been merged

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: feature/package-vc has been merged
Date: Sun, 06 Nov 2022 20:30:07 -0500

Philip Kaludercic [2022-11-06 18:35:10] wrote:
> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>>> From: Philip Kaludercic <philipk@posteo.net>
>>> Cc: monnier@iro.umontreal.ca,  rms@gnu.org,  emacs-devel@gnu.org
>>> Date: Sun, 06 Nov 2022 17:31:22 +0000
>>>
>>> Let's say I notice a something I would want to change/add/fix in a
>>> package I am using.  find-function is just one way I would query Emacs
>>> to open up the source, then make a few changes.  If I decide that these
>>> are worth up-streaming, it is nice to just commit them right away and
>>> call `package-vc-prepare-patch' to send the maintainer an email.
>>
>> How many package users do that?
>
> I know of at least one for certain, and that is me.

I do too.

Also, the Borg, the Straight, and the DELPS package managers implemented
that same functionality, so there's clearly a public for it.

>> And if you think many do, why not clone the repository directly into
>> ~/.emacs.d/elpa/?
>
> Because that won't take care of scraping for autoloads, byte
> compilation and installing missing dependencies.

Also because packages in there are expected to be installed under the
<PKG>-<VERSION> directory, whereas when installing from Git a package
will be updated in place so its version number will keep changing, and
it would be inconvenient to rename its directory every time.

        Stefan