Re: Tree-sitter documentation

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Tree-sitter documentation
Date: Mon, 07 Nov 2022 14:11:55 +0200

> From: Yuan Fu <casouri@gmail.com>
> Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2022 02:13:20 -0800
>
> > This function takes a series of @var{query-spec}s, which are triplets
> > @w{@code{@var{:keyword} @var{value} @dots{} @var{query}}}.  Each
> > @var{query} is a tree-sitter query in either the string, s-expression
> > or compiled form.
> >
> Is is ok to use “triplets” here? Because there can be more than one pair of
> :keyword and values before a query, eg,
>
> :keyword value
> :keyword value
> query

In that case, "triplets" is definitely incorrect, but I had no way of
understanding that this is possible.

It should be possible top describe this kind of argument list, but
does it really have to be so complicated?  These are not internal
functions, so Lisp programmers will have to battle with this signature
all the time.  Can we make the function's signature easier to
document, understand, and use?

For example, what about accepting an alist as the argument, where each
alist element specifies a query and its keyword/value pairs that
customize the query?