Re: Tree sitter support for C-like languages

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Tree sitter support for C-like languages
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2022 15:08:14 +0200

> From: Theodor Thornhill <theo@thornhill.no>
> Cc: casouri@gmail.com, emacs-devel@gnu.org, monnier@iro.umontreal.ca
> Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2022 14:02:30 +0100
>
> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>
> >> Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2022 11:13:24 +0100
> >> From: Theodor Thornhill <theo@thornhill.no>
> >> CC: casouri@gmail.com, emacs-devel@gnu.org, monnier@iro.umontreal.ca

> >> Absolutely nothing. Only the yellow color.
> >
> > Which yellow color?
> >
> > And if we lose nothing, why was this in the code to begin with? what
> > was the thought behind using it?
>
> The warning face.  My thinking was merely that identifying syntax errors
> could be useful, but I now believe this causes more noise and confusion
> rather than being a helpful tool.

I'm not sure I agree.  Having incomplete code show in a distinct color
could be a nice feature, at least as an option.  The problem is that
the warning face doesn't go away when the code is completed, but I
think this is a separate and different problem.

> So there's no need to use it.  These error-nodes can be seen with
> 'treesit-inspect-mode' for those interested anyways.

The inspect nod is for debugging TS-backed modes, not for editing
program source.  So it is not relevant to what bothers me.

I think we should fix the problem with the warning face staying put,
and then revisit the usefulness of the warning face.