Re: Tree sitter support for C-like languages

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Tree sitter support for C-like languages
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2022 18:59:34 +0200

> From: Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>
> Cc: Yuan Fu <casouri@gmail.com>,  theo@thornhill.no,  emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2022 11:01:24 -0500
>
> > I guess we need to report these to the developers of the Tree-sitter's
> > C parser?  Is there anything else we could do until they fix
> > the parser?
>
> AFAIK the tree-sitter parser parses basically already-preprocessed C.
> It's wickedly hard to parse meaningfully notyet-preprocessed C with
> something based on a BNF grammar.

There are a lot of macros in our code that tree-sitter based C mode
gets right, so I'm not sure this is accurate.

> So my guess is that this is going to be a "wont fix".

Maybe we should grow some augmentations for tree-sitter, at least
given enough time.  Or maybe it's possible to identify the parts where
this happens by some tree-sitter indications, and tweak the faces in
those regions in some way.