Re: Adding use-package to core

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Adding use-package to core
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2022 09:33:47 +0200

> From: Stefan Kangas <stefankangas@gmail.com>
> Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2022 23:17:18 -0800
> Cc: philipk@posteo.net, relekarpayas@gmail.com, johnw@gnu.org,
>       monnier@iro.umontreal.ca, emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>
> >> We could archive it after some grace period, say 3, 6, or N months.
> >>
> >> At the beginning of that period, we could add a comment to all open
> >> issues and pull requests, saying where to report the issue.  At the end,
> >> we could do it again.  Then we archive.
> >
> > And in the meantime someone will have to monitor the GitHub issues and
> > update debbugs?
>
> In this scenario, I think so, yes.  One way of doing it just to close
> any _new_ issues immediately, asking them to use bug-gnu-emacs instead.
> I'm already getting all the notifications as it is, and I'd be happy to
> do that for the duration.  (I'd expect a trickle rather than a storm.)

We'd need Someone(TM) to volunteer to do these mundane and ungrateful
tasks.

> On the other hand, maybe it would be less confusing to just archive the
> repository and be done with it.  If I'm not mistaken, it would be hard
> to migrate all issues to debbugs automatically, since GitHub works with
> user names and not email addresses.  So this option probably means
> losing some bugs, and maybe frustrating some bug reporters.  Maybe it's
> worth it: I don't know.

It will certainly mean less work for us, as we won't need to watch the
GitHub repository and synchronize it with debbugs.

> I guess ultimately what we choose to do depends how important it is for
> us to preserve existing feature requests and bug reports in a form where
> we can continue working on them (e.g. by closing fixed issues).

We can include a reference to the original issues in debbugs reports.
Then people who need that can look up previous discussions.