Re: On improving Bookmarks

From: Karl Fogel
Subject: Re: On improving Bookmarks
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2022 15:17:39 -0600

On 17 Nov 2022, Jean Louis wrote:
* Karl Fogel <kfogel@red-bean.com> [2022-11-16 20:40]:
But does Emacs already have a generic mechanism for saying "open things of type X with program Y"? If so, Bookmark should just rely on that mechanism, rather than have some Bookmark-specific mechanism. And if there isn't such a generic mechanism in Emacs, perhaps it be better to create that than to do
something special for Bookmark.

I use this variable to open files in Dired, this could be also used
for bookmarks.

dired-guess-shell-alist-user is a variable defined in ‘dired.el’.

Value:
(("\\.gif\\'" "sxiv -a")
 ("\\.pdf\\'" "zathura")
 ("\\.epub\\'" "mupdf")
 ("\\.djvu\\'" "evince")

That's a start -- it covers files at least. But it wouldn't know what to do if handed (say) a URL, right?

We need something like a generalized MIME-type handler list. And maybe Emacs has such a thing already? Emacs is so big that I pack canned goods before I go looking for things in it...

Best regards,
-Karl