Re: Add cl-defgeneric project-name; first use case eglot

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Add cl-defgeneric project-name; first use case eglot
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2022 16:17:57 +0200

> From: João Távora <joaotavora@gmail.com>
> Cc: Stephen Leake <stephen_leake@stephe-leake.org>,  emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2022 13:50:37 +0000
>
> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>
> > So Eglot should allow customization of what is shown on the mode line.
>
> Surely Eglot could offer that: a boolean option controlling whether to
> show the project's name in the mode-line.  Or a more sophisticated
> eglot-mode-line-format in the style of e.g. flymake-mode-line-format so
> that multiple other things can be shown or hidden.
>
> As to where Eglot gets the project's human-readable name from, I can't
> think of a place other than project.el.  As Stephen explained, currently
> Eglot guesses it from the name of the root directory, and that guess
> isn't suitable 100% of the time.

Why are you thinking only about changes related to how the project's name is
spelled out?  What if someone would like to make changes in Eglot's
mode-line indication that have nothing to do with the part of project name?

You see this as a request to customize project.el for some reason, whereas I
see this as a request to customize eglot.el, because the mode-line indicator
is produced by Eglot, and the fact that it currently shows the project name
in some form is not carved in stone.