Re: master c69858b3f0: ; * lisp/treesit.el (treesit-ready-p): Guard agai

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: master c69858b3f0: ; * lisp/treesit.el (treesit-ready-p): Guard against empty buffers.
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2022 07:40:31 -0500

>> > -      (when (> (position-bytes (1- (point-max))) treesit-max-buffer-size)
>> > +      (when (> (position-bytes (max (point-min) (1- (point-max))))
>> > +               treesit-max-buffer-size)
>>
>> I'd expect `treesit-max-buffer-size` to be compared to `buffer-size`
>> rather than to buffer positions.
>
> Please tell more: what problems do you see with the above, and why?  It is
> not easy to guess what's on your mind.

I see 4 very minor problems:

- the code is more complex than the obvious
  (> (buffer-size) treesit-max-buffer-size)
- as a result of that complexity, we see that its original version had
  a bug :-)
- it uses `position-bytes` which is an unusual function (because it
  exposes details of the internal representation).

But my question was not so much pointing out a problem but trying to
understand why we chose the more complex code.

        Stefan