Thought: Group Minor Modes Into Logical "Bundles"?

From: T.V Raman
Subject: Thought: Group Minor Modes Into Logical "Bundles"?
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2022 19:15:22 -0800

The minor mode indicators in the modeline are getting to be too many
-- and though :lighter for shorter indicators help, I'm still finding
them overly heavy to consume --- it's painful to listen to :-) though
I suspect they also place a level of cognitive load on users who can
that we might be able to reduce.

For instance, in programming language modes, I suspect it's
increasingly common to have autofill, abbrev, -- perhaps company etc
turned on; would be nice if a user could:

1. Define a "logical bundle of minor modes " that are specific to
   various tasks, and then have a modeline indicater for that "bundle"
   defined -- so the Modeline would indicate "prog" for the user to
   know and remember that a preferred set of programming affordances
   are  turned on. Thoghts?

--

Thanks,

♉ Id: kg:/m/0285kf1  🦮