Re: tree-sitter version?

From: Yuan Fu
Subject: Re: tree-sitter version?
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2022 19:27:44 -0800

> On Nov 23, 2022, at 5:54 PM, T.V Raman <raman@google.com> wrote:
>
> While building emacs from Github @HEAD, I noticed that configure
> checks for two different tree-sitter versions
> checking for tree-sitter >= 0.20.2... no
> checking for tree-sitter >= 0.6.3... yes
>

> Installing from apt-get on Debian, and later cloning and building
> tree-sitter from github both give 0.6.3
>

> So what is 0.20 --asking only because 20 much-greater-than 6—

The official latest version of tree-sitter right now is 0.20.7, the one we want
is >=0.20.2 (which has the ability to change malloc implementation on runtime).
However apprantly tree-sitter’s makefile wasn’t updated after 0.6.3 so the
version number on the installed library is 0.6.3. Ideally we want to require
>=0.20.2 and be done with it, but since most tree-sitter libraries installed on
people’s machines are 0.6.3, we also accept 0.6.3 and use autotool magic to
check for the ability to change malloc implementation.

Yuan