Re: tree-sitter and language support

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: tree-sitter and language support
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2022 21:48:24 +0200

> From: "T.V Raman" <raman@google.com>
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2022 09:57:05 -0800
>
> Incidentally, if one installs tree-sitter-lang from melpa, it
> automatically builds the modules; but it then requires tree-sitter from
> Feb 2022 which is older than what is in the emacs tree.

We need a version that supports custom memory-allocation function, because
Emacs needs to control how memory is allocated, and what happens when
tree-sitter runs out of memory.

> We could ease a lot of pain if we brought the language modules into the
> emacs tree?

That's impractical, and probably won't happen, at least in the near future.
Those modules are developed by their own teams, unrelated to Emacs.