Re: Subprojects in project.el

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Subprojects in project.el
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2022 00:29:11 +0200

On 25/11/22 16:58, Stefan Monnier wrote:
I'll just mention that sub-projects have been haunting me for years in
Projectile, so you definitely will want to think long and hard about their
implementation as people tend to have all sorts of setups. Sometimes I even
wonder if it's worth it to try to support every use-case possible as it's
definitely a path of growing complexity and diminishing returns.
Thanks for that background.  Personally, as a mere user of `project.el`
I wonder about the meaning of "subproject".  Are we talking about two
*separate*  projects that "happen" to be layed out in the filesystem in
such a way that one is in a subdir of the other, or are we really
talking about a situation where some project operations (but not all)
will operate on "the project and its subprojects", which would then beg
the question of how to decide which operations do that (and when).

Just to clarify how we got there: I only used the term "subprojects" to refer to the former, and only for the purpose of describing how one could implement a particular behavior: excluding subprojects' files from what 'project-files' returns for the parent project.

IOW, being able to make sure the projects are "disjoint", even if one is "inside" the other. And to get a performance bump from doing that, in certain cases.

And when the discussion got to the latter at one time (a more complex and open-ended topic), I asked to split that into a separate feature request via 'M-x report-emacs-bug'.