Re: Standardizing tree-sitter fontification features

From: Stephen Leake
Subject: Re: Standardizing tree-sitter fontification features
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2022 06:07:21 -0800

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2022 01:13:46 +0000
>> From: Randy Taylor <dev@rjt.dev>
>> Cc: emacs-devel <emacs-devel@gnu.org>
>>
>> On Thursday, November 24th, 2022 at 17:16, Yuan Fu <casouri@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I wonder if assignment and definition are really worth having (and
>> would prefer to do without them), since they should be covered by
>> the variable, function, type and property features.
>
> AFAIU, this is about the difference between defining a function and calling
> it.  The distinction could be useful, at least in some cases.  We could make
> this off by default, of course, but I don't think we should ignore the
> distinction.

Language Server Protocol uses distinct "types" and "modifiers" for this
(https://microsoft.github.io/language-server-protocol/specifications/lsp/3.17/specification/#textDocument_semanticTokens);
an identifier can have "function" type, and an instance of it can have
"declaration" or "implementation" or no modifier.

--
-- Stephe