Re: Subprojects in project.el

From: João Távora
Subject: Re: Subprojects in project.el
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2022 00:54:52 +0000

Dmitry Gutov <dgutov@yandex.ru> writes:

> But updating the config to use a different marker is also not a long
> task. It's not like someone's going to go on renaming "lispinto" to
> some other name and back over and over during the project lifetime.

I can't get through to you that designating a project that is rooted
stably in a subdirectory based on one of its interior components, which
by definition is what changes more often in a subproject is a bad idea.
Or that a subdirectory "lispinto" exist multiple times in the same
hierarchy, or in other hierarchies and have completely other meanings.
Too bad.

>> And there's also the obvious drawback, that you yourself raised, that
>> looking for marker files is needlessly taxing in terms of file system
>> operations.  Especially, as you highlighted, under TRAMP or a
>> slow-to-access file systems.
>
> Only when the goal is to exclude the nested projects' files from being
> listed in the output of 'project-files' of the encompassing project. I
> asked you about this, and you answered that this is a non-goal.

No.  Simply making more unnecessary file system accesses is a non-goal.

> What's baffling is how you insist on not reading or trying the patches
> that's been available in bug#41572 -- some for several days, some for
> over a year, which implement both this and other approaches.

If that patch requires me to use marker files, as you keep suggesting,
there's no point.

In fact, there's no point in continuing this discusison.  It's very
clear you are set on not taking any suggestions, and are convinced the
use case I've described is somehow from an esoteric 2%.  So do whatever
you want.

João