Re: Subprojects in project.el

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Subprojects in project.el
Date: Fri, 02 Dec 2022 10:44:06 -0500

>> I'm just surprised that a simple request to be able to create a project
>> type
>> that is not one of the 2 built-in types is not answered by a simple "use
>> this and that APIs".  project.el strives very hard to be generic, but what
>> is the use in doing that if extending it by 3rd-party code is so
>> complicated, and on top of that is not already available?
>
> But that's what defines a project type: its implementations of the
>  generic functions.

Indeed.  AFAIK the general approach for APIs that rely on CLOS-style OO
programming is that all the classes are kept "abstract" and what you see
is only generic functions.  IOW the API is exclusively defined by the
generic functions.

So you create your own type any which way you want and then provide
implementations of the API's methods.

        Stefan