Re: scratch/backend-completion c807121fbd 1/2: Add lisp/backend-completi

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: scratch/backend-completion c807121fbd 1/2: Add lisp/backend-completion.el
Date: Sat, 03 Dec 2022 09:04:48 -0500

> I quite like this and it's working well for both Eglot and that other
> library.  I haven't tried it with SLY but I'm sure it will do the job
> nicely.

One thing I was wondering is how useful is the `tryc` method.  I suspect
that SLY can provide a real implementation for it but in most other
cases I'd expect that the only option is to use a degenerate `tryc`
method.  So I was thinking that maybe the `tryc-function` arg should
be optional.

> One of the most important things though is the naming.
> "Backend completion" is not a good name, there are already a ton
> of "backend" semantics that are entirely Emacs only, and this new
> style is really exclusive for tools _outside_ of Emacs's address
>  space.

I agree that "backend" is not great since it's largely a matter of
perspective.  I can't remember which other names have been considered
but how 'bout `external`?

        Stefan