Re: Help with new Windows 98 crash

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Help with new Windows 98 crash
Date: Mon, 05 Dec 2022 16:52:28 +0200

> From: Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com>
> Date: Mon, 05 Dec 2022 22:18:18 +0800
>
> Emacs 30 (with unexec) is crashing on Windows 98 again, this time during
> GC.

I tried to build it on X, but the build fails:

  xfns.c:46:10: fatal error: xcb/xcb_aux.h: No such file or directory
   #include <xcb/xcb_aux.h>
            ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  compilation terminated.

can you please fix that?  Then I could see if the problem is not only
Windows specific.

> I cannot find a version of GDB that reads DWARF generated by GCC 9,
> but here is the backtrace from GDB 5, which cannot read the debug
> information in emacs.exe:
>
>   #0 0x011e5491
>   #1 0x00a44b68
>   #2 0x00160070
>   #3 0x00343030
>
> the backtrace stops here, after which GDB complains it cannot access
> memory at address 0x30303030.
>
> addr2line says the first address belongs to line 606 of w32heap.c.  The
> rest are garbage.  Could it be that something is trying to free dumped
> memory?

Could be, I have no idea yet.  But then FREEABLE_P doesn't do its job,
right?

> (and if anyone can find a copy of GDB that works on Windows 98 and can
> read the debuginfo, that would be best.  Thanks in advance.)

Did you try building with -gstabs+ instead?

P.S. And maybe we should try fixing the problem that requires to use unexec
on Windows 9X to begin with.