Re: scratch/backend-completion 9a62da21c2 1/2: Integrate Stefan suggesti

From: João Távora
Subject: Re: scratch/backend-completion 9a62da21c2 1/2: Integrate Stefan suggestions but rename it to "external-completion.el"
Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2022 11:09:02 +0000

On Tue, Dec 6, 2022 at 12:14 AM Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:

> > Yup, this rhymes exactly with what I wrote in the docstring in the latest
> > version.  I understand how it could be used now.
>
> Looks great to me, thanks,

Great!  I've now tidied up the branch and pushed it to feature/external-completion

Eli, if you haven't been following this discussion closely, this is a refactor of
functionality already present in Eglot that consolidates the support for
offering completions coming from external tools (like LSP servers, but not only)
and makes it available to more third party packages.

I think there shouldn't be any adverse effects of pushing this to the emacs-29
branch, but if you think it's better, I'll push it to master instead.

It shouldn't make much of a difference since the new external-completion.el
file is going to be a GNU ELPA :core package and as such it will be available
in Emacs 28 anyway via package-install.

Let me know what you think.  The commentary of the new file, the docstring
of external-completion-table and the commit messages should give details.
I'll be happy to fix them further if you have comments.

João