Re: Ruby mode using tree-sitter

From: Perry Smith
Subject: Re: Ruby mode using tree-sitter
Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2022 11:57:56 -0600

> On Dec 6, 2022, at 18:09, Dmitry Gutov <dgutov@yandex.ru> wrote:
>
> Hi Perry,
>
> On 06/12/2022 21:56, Perry Smith wrote:
>> I asked on Reddit if there is anyone already developing a Ruby mode using
>> tree-sitter.  They suggested ask here.  It seems volunteers were being
>> solicited recently.
>> I don’t want to officially volunteer but if no one is working on one, I’ll
>> start pecking at it.  I’m not confident enough to volunteer.  At least not
>> until I’ve wadded deeper into it.
>
> It's on my list, but I'm not sure if I'll get around to it soon enough to put
> it in Emacs 29. But it's possible to release it later on GNU ELPA as a :core
> package.
>
> If you want to take the initiative, though, please go ahead.

I am working on it but I am sure it will be slow going for me.  I see macros
are being used.  I understand what backtick ` and comma , do and it looks like
@foo can be used to refer to a variable within a let of a macro.  But I’m not
familiar with what brackets do [xxxx] within a macro.  But I’ll dig it out.

I was going to create a git repository and so others could contribute test and
contribute but if this is destined for FSF, that might complicate things since
everyone who contributes would need to sign off.  Is that correct?

Thank you,
Perry