Re: use-package has been merged into emacs-29

From: Philip Kaludercic
Subject: Re: use-package has been merged into emacs-29
Date: Fri, 09 Dec 2022 16:09:24 +0000

> Hi Emacs,
>
> Just to make this official: use-package has now landed on the emacs-29
> branch.  This means, barring any major world disasters, solar storms, or
> similar, use-package will officially be a part of Emacs 29.

Great!

A few comments on use-package.texi from briefly skimming the file:

- It appears to be mentioning a few packages that are not available on
  GNU ELPA or NonGNU ELPA (e.g. git-gutter+, eruby-mode, dash-at-point,
  ess, color-moccur, moccur-edit, unfill).  Should they be replaced
  with other packages to make sure the examples are consistently
  reproducible?

- Why is "Debian GNU/Linux" formatted using @code?

- Under the node "Byte-compiling", is the "@end group" in the
  "use-package ruby-mode" block intended to be placed where it is?

- Is "NonGNU" an acronym itself?

- Some packages are formatted as @file's (hydra, ivy, diminish, delight,
  ...).  Does this really make sense?

- MELPA is mention under vindex `use-package-always-pin', is this ok.
  AFAIR there was some decision to not mention MELPA in the official
  documentation (currently this also appears to be the only instance).

- Under "Modes and interpreters", the file extension .rb is formatted
  using @samp, while (texinfo) @file implies that @file is the right
  macro for this situation.

- It appears that use-package is sometimes formatted using @code and
  sometimes not.  I can't make out a consistent rule.

- GNU ELPA is also inconsistently marked up as a single or two separate
  acronyms.

- There is still an instance of "see @ref" under the node "Global
  keybindings".