best practices for implementing Emms configuration

From: Yoni Rabkin
Subject: best practices for implementing Emms configuration
Date: Fri, 09 Dec 2022 13:04:12 -0500

Hello all,

We are trying to make Emms (https://www.gnu.org/software/emms/) better
out of the box.

The idea is to have the user invoke "M-x emms-setup", have Emms ask some
questions (check which player binaries the user has installed, which
metadata programs are installed, where the music is located, etc.), and
have Emms generate and write the appropriate elisp configuration.

I can think of two approaches. I am wondering which, if any, would be
considered best practice:

Write the configuration to the user's ~/.emacs in the same manner as "
;; custom-set-variables was added by Custom." or ";; Added by
Package.el."  I'm not a huge fan of this option for the sole reason that
I don't appreciate packages automatically editing a file I manually
edit.

XOR

Write the configuration to ~/.emacs.d/emms/auto-config.el. Emms would
then look for that configuration file there during startup. This is
cleaner, and can have the benefit of Emms being configured without a
single line needing to be added by the user to their ~/.emacs.

I know that a bunch of packages store information in ~/.emacs.d/, just
as Emms does. But is it acceptable practice to store configuration there
too?

What I'm looking for is something along the lines of: "sure, we don't
care", or "don't do that, we don't want Emacs packages to go down that
route", or something similar.

Thank you in advance.