Re: Tree-sitter doc question

From: Pedro Andres Aranda Gutierrez
Subject: Re: Tree-sitter doc question
Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2022 12:14:00 +0100

Eli writes:

> The above is not different from any other optional library, such as
> GnuTLS or librsvg.  The exact commands to install them depend on the
> distro you are using, and we don't describe them in our documentation.

Thanks for the clarification. I was misled by finding some tree-sitter related files
in the admin/ directory tree.  As far as I see, tree-sitter is not very widely provided (as
opposed to GnuTLS or librsvg...)

I'm on Ubuntu 20.04 LTS and have little time to face a migration to 22.04 and I haven't
found anyone providing a PPA to install tree-sitter on my system. Same might also
be true for many Debian users...

Well... it will have to wait until the summer (if and when I have spare cycles to upgrade the system).
Anyhow, there are plenty of things to look inside Emacs on my practically non-existing free cycles now.
:-)

Thanks again,
WR,/PA

On Sat, 10 Dec 2022 at 09:46, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:
> From: Pedro Andres Aranda Gutierrez <paaguti@gmail.com>
> Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2022 08:29:08 +0100
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> To start testing tree-sitter, do I "just" need to include --enable-tree-sitter in my configure step or do I need
> something (more|else) on a
> clean-slate (Linux|macOS) system? Does the emacs build process provide all the necessary steps or is
> some external configuration/installation
> needed?

You need to make sure the tree-sitter library is installed, and so are
the grammar libraries for the programming languages you want to use.
Then just rebuild Emacs; --enable-tree-sitter is ON by default, so if
you have the library installed, the build process with DTRT.

> This is the kind of "extra documentation" some of us are yearning for ;-)

The above is not different from any other optional library, such as
GnuTLS or librsvg.  The exact commands to install them depend on the
distro you are using, and we don't describe them in our documentation.

Fragen sind da um gestellt zu werden
Georg Kreisler

Headaches with a Juju log:
unit-basic-16: 09:17:36 WARNING juju.worker.uniter.operation we should run a leader-deposed hook here, but we can't yet