Re: Package "luwak"

From: Yuchen Pei
Subject: Re: Package "luwak"
Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2022 14:54:38 +1100

On Wed 2022-11-30 18:51:03 -0500, Richard Stallman wrote:

> By contrast, the name "luwak" is unhelpful.  Wikipedia says "luwak" is
> a species of civet; civets are not cats, but fairly close to cats.  If
> you know this, it might help you remember "luwak" when you think of
> "lynx".  But that relationship is remote and strained.  And it won't
> help people who might find luwak useful find out about it.

The naming is explained in the README / package description:

> lynx dump -> feline excretion -> Kopi Luwak

Judging from your talk at EmacsConf, I guess you would still prefer a
different name because this would still fall under word play.

> Let's change the package name now to something that will help users
> find out about it and use it.
>
> My suggestion for the name is `lynx'.  That name fits it, since it is
> an interface to lynx.  And anyone who knows about `lynx' will guess
> what it does.

The development of this package is not affiliated with that of lynx in
any way, though it is a lynx client, so I think calling it lynx can
create confusion.

> Does anyone have a better name to suggest?

Common naming for this sort of clients are `lynx-mode` or `lynx.el`. It
is less interesting though but I can live with that. OTOH people can
search for "web browser" in the `list-packages` interface, and it will
hit descriptions.

Best,
Yuchen

--
Please join me to support free software for a free society:
https://appeal.fsf.org

PGP Key: 47F9 D050 1E11 8879 9040  4941 2126 7E93 EF86 DFD0
          <https://ypei.org/assets/ypei-pubkey.txt>