Re: Package "luwak"

From: Yuchen Pei
Subject: Re: Package "luwak"
Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2022 15:04:09 +1100

On Fri 2022-12-02 18:49:39 -0800, T.V Raman wrote:

> Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:
>

> 1+.
>
> As a likely potential user, I looked at that package and didn't see
> anything there that would improve EWW after a quick review;

This package is not intended as a candidate to merge with EWW. It is a
web browser of its own. Stefan Monnier's rationale for merging it with
EWW is that ideally we should have a backend and a frontend systems for
web browsing, the backend retrieves over the net and parses the
response. The frontend decides how to display the parsed results. It is
conceptually a good idea, but requires a lot of work. For starters, lynx
-dump as a backend provides a plaintext version of the html. It seems to
have a long history and widely used for web scraping. There's no dom or
structure, but only links.

Best,
Yuchen

--
Please join me to support free software for a free society:
https://appeal.fsf.org

PGP Key: 47F9 D050 1E11 8879 9040  4941 2126 7E93 EF86 DFD0
          <https://ypei.org/assets/ypei-pubkey.txt>