Re: [ELPA] New package: kixtart-mode

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: [ELPA] New package: kixtart-mode
Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2022 18:33:38 -0500

  > There are no scripting languages for MS-Windows that are Free
  > Software, AFAIK.

  > > Maybe we can come up with a way to encourage people to choose some
  > > free and portable scripting language, even when using Windows.

  > One would have to be written first.

That is bad news, but thanks for giving that information.

In that situation, we have little possibility of making the situation
any better, whatever we might do.  Basically, there is nothing here we
can hope for except perhaps to make Emacs a little more popular
among Windows users.

  > > Why would someone, on Windows, use SickStart rather than those other
  > > scripting packages?  Does it have some major advantage, for use on
  > > Windows?

  > Yes, it has many advantages.  (I don't use it, but I've skimmed the
  > manual.)

  > > Or is it that Microsoft is going to tell everyone that "SickStart is
  > > the scripting language for Windows!

  > KiXtart isn't a Microsoft product, AFAICT.

If we want to provide better support in Emacs for some nonfree Windows
scripting language, for the same of encouraging use of Emacs on the widely
used system Windows, which Windows scripting language should it be?

All else being equal, it would be better to support the most widely used
Windows scripting language.  That would be most effective at the one
goal that matters to us here -- encouraging use of Emacs on Windows.

All the other goals that some might consider pertinent are part of
their wish to "Make use of Windows better and more convenient" using
nonfree software.  That is not a goal for us!