HowTo: EWW: Tagging regions with properties

From: T.V Raman
Subject: HowTo: EWW: Tagging regions with properties
Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2022 18:41:03 -0800

Mostly for Lars but help from others welcome:

In Emacspeak, I have advice placed on the shr-tag functions to attach
text properties that identify portions of the rendered text with
properties that show  the originating tag: e.g.:

An around advice on shr-tag-li puts text  property 'li with value
'eww-tag on the region produced by rendering from the <li> tag.

The motivation is to enable Emacspeak to be able to speak the logical
contents of the bullet.

The properties get placed correctly, but when the rendering completes,
the whitespace at the beginning and end of the block of text on each
line dont get these properties, so when attempting to speak the entire
<li> contents, all I get is one line at a time depending on where
point is in the rendered bullet.

I suspect it's because some other part of shr ie outside of shr-tag-li
in this instance shifts the block of text from the <li> tag to get it
indented --- and I was hoping that default stickiness of text
properties would just take care of that -- sdly, that doesn't
happen. So question: How do I achieve what I want?

--

Thanks,

♉ Id: kg:/m/0285kf1  🦮

--